Her sultry voice delivers popular standards such as “I Wish You Love” and “I’ve Got You Under My Skin”, with a cheerful energy hearkening back to Las Vegas showroom jazz. Her charm conveys a sparkling smile, perhaps even a tipsy grin as she sways around the notes gracefully.
The album, featuring delightful arrangements by Seiji Endo along with Taguchi’s pop-oriented originals, starts at full swing but closes calmly with a warm “Close to You”, followed by Taguchi quietly singing and playing piano on her song “Voices”.
Leader: Rie Taguchi · 田口理恵 · https://ameblo.jp/rie-taguchi/
- Rie Taguchi – vocals, piano
- Seiji Endo – piano, arrangements
- Seiji Tada – also sax, flute
- Noriko Satomi – violin
- Mitsukuni Tanabe – guitar
- Yusuke Nakaishi – bass
- Akira Yamada – drums
Released in 2016 on Rose Happy Music RHM002.
Here is a television broadcast of Rie Taguchi singing jazz standards at a jazz bar in Tokyo from 2015:
* Audio sample at top of page from the opening track on this album, a joyful “Lady is a Tramp”: